Arrowhead Parlor was
instituted on July 20, 1887, as the result of an expansion
program begun three years earlier during the term of Grand
President John A. Steinbach. The Native Sons of the Golden West was still in its infancy, having
begun in San Francisco in 1875. Soon, the organization expanded
beyond its San Francisco base. In 1877, a parlor opened in
Oakland. A Sacramento parlor followed in 1878, Steinbach divided
the state into districts and kicked off a period of enormous
expansion. By 1887, Arrowhead Parlor had become (as its parlor
number designates) the 110th to receive a charter.
Dwight Fox, Will Nash and Dan Rich were brothers who took on
most of the responsibilities to help make the fledgling parlor a
successful endeavor. Among the charter members, we find such
family names as Van Leuven and Holcomb, which are still
represented on the parlor's rolls today; and Burcham, a name
that continued in the parlor until 2001.
Arrowhead Parlor's membership has ebbed and flowed. In 1900 it
fell to 31, and there was fear that its charter might be
revoked; but the next year it rebounded, initiating 86 new
members. And so it has gone over the years. In 1949 Arrowhead's
membership peaked at 976, making it the fifth largest parlor in
the state. Then it began a steady decline, but the year 2006-07
marked a rejuvenation, with net membership surging 16 percent,
making it the fastest-growing parlor in the state.
From 1925 until 1975, Arrowhead Parlor had a clubhouse at
Crestline. The mountain retreat was the setting for many
memorable parties, barbecues, initiations and other events.
In 1957, the parlor acquired its meeting hall at Del Rosa Avenue
and Date Street in San Bernardino. The meeting hall, named for
Robert Brazelton, has been the anchor for parlor Activities for
a half-century. Its namesake joined the parlor in 1902, and
served as its recording secretary for nearly 50 years.
Beginning with Edmund E. Katz, who was elected grand trustee in
1893, Arrowhead Parlor has furnished the parent order with many
officers, including six grand presidents. Walter D. Wagner,
deputy county auditor, was grand president in 1906-07. David W.
Stuart, owner of Stuart Motor Parts, was grand president in
1954-55. James M. Smith was grand president in 1980-81; Everett
White Jr. in 1986-87, Clare D. McCullough (now a member of
Columbia Parlor) in 2000-01; and Richard S. Kimball in 2003-04.
For 120 years, Arrowhead Parlor has worked to preserve
California history, enrich the life of its community and region
and provide and active social life for its members -- offering a
continuing heritage in which it takes pride.